Monday, September 17, 2007

I Too Wear an Oversized Clock as a Necklace

So I come to Ann Arbor and Michigan loses to App St, and then the Ross School of Business goes from #1 to #7 in the Wall Street Journal rankings. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not. The sorority girls could care less about Ross' drop in the rankings because for the past week I've heard the following screamed from somewhere outside my window: "It's great...to be...a Michigan A E Phi...It's great...to be...a Michigan A E Phi". Is it really THAT great to be a Michigan AEPhi? I don't know, but I'm thinking maybe I'll need to set up and AEPhi/MBA mixer just to put all rumors to rest.

Recruiting is in full swing. On Friday there was a career fair in which I wanted to speak to one of probably 30 companies present. I spoke to that company and then walked around and passed by the ConAgra table. I have no interested in a Consumer Packaged Goods internship (or a CPG internship, say the cool kids) but there was one packaged good they had out on display which I was interested in sampling. ConAgra makes David Sunflower seeds which I happen to love. So the dilemma is do I just leave or do I go over, endure the 5 min conversation and get the seeds. Well, all I can say is that those seeds are a mighty tasty snack. It isn't so much that I don't like talking to the recruiters, because I actually like the practice and like making the contacts, it's just that I felt guilty for coming across as if I'd move to Omaha, NE for the summer. The only way I'm moving to Omaha is if Warren Buffett calls me up and says, "Finger, I have a job for you, and I'm going to pay you in sunflower seeds. And by the way, Susan and I love the blog".

The craziest thing these days seems to be getting my budget in order. When I lived in NYC budget was mostly dollars and cents. And just an aside, I think it was during MTV Cribs once when Master P so eloquently said "If it don't make dollars, it don't make cents". I think still my favorite quote of all time. Anyway, now, budgeting is all about time. Everything everything everything is budgeted. Writing "everything" thrice...probably a waste of time right there. For example I budgeted time for the following activities this weekend:

-Eating an 8 piece BBQ Chicken plate: Est time allowed 15 minutes, actual time 13 mins. I'm coming for you Kobayashi.
-Folding clean laundry: Est time 30 mins, actual time 3 days. Oops. At least it was clean laundry.
-Dropping off paper at B-school: Est time 10 mins, actual time 8 mins plus eating peach while walking counts as multi-tasking points.
-Writing this blog: Est time done in 15 mins

There's this thing, they call it the "gym", I think it sounds like "time" but a "g" instead of a "t". Anyway, I heard it's a pretty cool place where people go to get healthy and stay healthy. Maybe one day I will visit this crazy land where undergrad girls dress to impres, and there are 5 full length basketball courts. Until then I'll only get to dream about such a place.

Anyway, I hope to hit you all back up later this week before we go for win #2 against Penn State

Actual time writing this blog, including break for choking on sunflower seeds...18 mins.

No comments: