Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Public Private vs. Public Public

I'm going to put the high five conversation on hold. Tomorrow is the first mandatory B-School event, which will without a doubt be filled with many canned conversations and trust falls. But hey, you have to start somewhere. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it and looking forward getting this show on the road.

The issue of Public Private vs. Public Public is in regards to this crazy world of blogging. I've seen some pretty shiny blogs out there that include pictures, maps, links, and some even have a "Best of..." section. Basically, you'd buy my blog at a Walmart whereas there are many others that you'd buy at ABC Carpet. Some people go all "Dear Diary" or as I like to say "Are you There God, It's Me Margaret" on their blogs so when they are 45, not married and living alone with their cats they can look back to the time when they were 30, not married and living alone with their cats. To each their own. No disrespect to my unmarried, cat-loving readers either. I happen to love unmarried women, and I even like cats. Anyway, the majority of blogs out there are public. I don't write for my health, I write for my die-hard fans (please continue to send money). My die-hard fans know me pretty well and make up the majority of my readers, and they'd know this sheyn ponem if they saw it on the street or in bar. But really, if you didn't know me, you'd perhaps think I was kind of bitter, or kind of funny, or kind of cranky, or kind of dashingly handsome. Truth be told, I can be whatever I want on this thing, but I tries to keep it rrreal. So the question is at what point to I turn this public thing into a public public thing from a public private thing. When do I say, put this link up on facebook or add it to the list of other Ross MBA Bloggers?

The answer is...perhaps one day. Right now, at the beginning of school you just make sure that you're not tripping on stuff, you're not bleeding, and not talking too loudly, basically, not being "that guy". Because Guy in the Blue Shirt in the Second to Last Row yesterday, I promise you that you aren't the first person to stay up until 4am drinking beers, and I promise you that nobody wanted to hear your stupid Edward-40 Hands stories from college. Yeah yeah yeah, you taped 40s to you hands a la Edward Scissorhands and didn't untape them until they were finished. When you're done regaling us with your epic stories please report to the front of the class immediately to collect your Badge of Awesomeness. At this point, you meet people, you make friends, you make some jokes, you buy some rounds, you shower often, you commiserate over student loans (even though you are lucky enough to not have any), and you fit in and find your niche. You don't rock the boat. Maybe the public public isn't ready for THIS (me pointing to myself), and maybe THIS (again, me pointing to myself), isn't ready for the public public. But if either parties are every ready you, my lovely readers, will be the first to know.

No comments: