Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Carry the 1...

There was an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air that ran in 1990 called "Clubba Hubba". If you don't believe me then go to IMDB.com. Basically the premise was that Will wanted to take out Uncle Phil's friend's daughter, Mimi Mumford, princess of the country club. The episode was about Will trying to refine his manners and techniques in order to capture the heart of the country-club-going, pastel-wearing, prep-school attending Mimi. Will's training for a shot at Mimi included, among other things, a crash course in dinner table etiquette.

aspirations, or his impeccable manners. She wanted a bad boy, just like me...There's a scene where Will, Geoffrey, and Carlton are in the family room and they're quizzing Will on the proper cutlery. "Which is the salad fork", "which is the dessert spoon", etc etc. Will can't pick out the the correct cutlery to save his life. He'd seen all these forks, knives, and spoons before but he just didn't know which was meant for what, or where each belonged. After a two day crash course in math I kind of feel the same way. Sure, I've seen all the material before, and yeah, I've even used a couple of the formulas in the last few years, but sit me down and ask me to put these things into place and it's like, what the? I'm not intimidated, just a little in the dark, and busy shaking out the cobwebs, just like Will was. Eventually Will manages to master the place settings, and sets off to impress Mimi's father and win Mimi's heart and a date to the Apple Blossom Ball. In the end though, Mimi wasn't impressed by Will's faux persona. She wanted a bad boy, just like me...ok, not like me.

Like Will, I have no doubt I'll get a handle on the material. It's all right there for me and I just have to figure out what fork I'm going to need to use to stab myself in the leg to keep me awake during accounting. I might even ask Mimi to the Apple Blossom Ball. I don't know why this came to mind, but I thought there were some good parallels, so I'm sharing it with ya'll.

I need to get outside and get some fresh air asap. Next blog...some general b-school impressions and a brief synopsis on high-fives.

No comments: