Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The onions in my salsa make me cry and miss NYC

NYC was literally in my rear-view mirror as I drove back home having moved out of my apartment. For whatever reason, whenever I think about my departure from NYC I think of two ridiculous cheers that can sometimes be heard at the end of a sporting event...

1. It's all ov-er clapclap clapclapclap
2. Warm up the bus, warm up the bus.

These phrases are meant to add insult to injury for the loser of a sporting event. Maybe I feel like big, bad, New York City is mocking me as I leave for a college town. Maybe my new 48104 zip isn't as sexy as 1-double O-21 (sadly, it isn't). Part of me wishes the powers that be acknowledge my departure from the city with a moment of silence, or maybe a life-sized statue of me hailing a cab...you know, something understated and meaningful. Maybe they could do one of those installments like they did with the painted cows, but instead of cows, just paint statues of me and place them all over the city. The reality is that NYC will continue to chug along, and people are going to keep keepin' on. Before I left I managed to make it to my favorite cheap eats place, Pampano Taqueria. I will miss those tacos. That place is really a hidden gem. Cheap, fresh, unlimited home made salsa, and the guy at the counter hisses the shit out of his "s"s so much so it's almost like he's mocking himself. If you don't believe me then order a bistec, carne asada, pescado, and an agua fresca and see for yourself. If it was socially acceptable these days to take a date to a taco stand for dinner I would take them to this one.

My friends, The Summer of Finger is almost over, and this cereal killer is down to his last box of Cheerios. Next time I hit this crazy blogosphere it will be from Ann Arbor, MI, the home of Finger: The Blog for the next two years (assuming I graduate on time).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more.