Monday, July 16, 2007

24 Years is a Long Time

The fam is moving out of our house after 24 years and that's what has been taking up the majority of my time this past week. It's pretty ridiculous how much stuff you accumulate over 24 years. I have an issue parting with things. I came across a crate of "retired t-shirts" which basically meant that I wore them to death. Instead of chucking them I "retire" them, but at 25 years old I'm finally mature enough to throw the shirts out (except for two of them).

I'm kind of nostalgic, but far less than I thought I'd be. With moving to a new house (which is only 7 minutes away from the current one), moving out of NYC, and then up to Ann Arbor all in the next month I'm feeling kind of nomadic. By the way, the movers are machines. Instead of carrying a heavy box in front of them, the stack three heavy boxes behind their back and then lean forward which takes the majority of the weight off of their arms. They are skilled for sure and that's why they are employed and I am not.

One man's trash is another man's treasure and that theme has shown up a number of times during the course of the move. For example, I'm currently wearing a tennis shirt that was cool circa 1988 and it probably made a comeback some time in the mid-90s again, but now is definitely just out of style. Well, my Dad was going to throw this shirt away, but I saved it and now will be waiting for when this shirt comes back into style in 2010. I'm patient, I can wait it out. There's been a lot of that going on this week and it's kind of amusing. And because packing just isn't funny at all, you have to keep the mood light. So if my sister has a box that says "Caroline's room: Skirts and Tops" I'll go over with my pen and add "and thongs", and then I giggle to myself and then I wait. And then she'll take one of my boxes that says "John's Room: Sneakers and shirts" and add "and year supply of Valtrex", and then we get progressively more inappropriate until we feel like we've crossed the line, and then the game is over. And yes we are 25 and 22.

So that's really it for now. The new house has a pool and I'd love to have all six of you out for a swim some time, but since I'm moving to Ann Arbor the second week in August I just don't think that's going to happen this summer. Maybe in 2008, but by then this site will surely have been picked up by Gawker and I will have cashed out and will be hanging out in Monaco or Capri or Ann Arbor or something.

And because I know you constantly refresh this site hoping I've done a new entry, unfortunately this computer needs to get packed up too and who knows when it's coming back out of the box, so it may be a little bit between now and my next entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yayyyy you've ackonwledged your new fans and upped it to 6!