Monday, June 25, 2007

Still standing, barely

Ok, quick entry here. I'm in Athens and just got done with the 10 day whirlwind tour of Israel. It was nothing short of amazing, and I am absolutely beat. I think we averaged 5-6 hours a sleep per night. We went to Yad Vashem, crawled through caves, ate at a bedouin camp, drank porch sodas under the desert sky, did an Israeli bootcamp simulation, and rode camels...and that was all literally during one 24 hour stretch. So take them apples and multiply that all by 10 and that kind of gives you an idea of what I've been up to. I sound like Marlon Brando in The Godfather and I need one of those Turkish massages like nobody's business. My body is run down, but I have Mykonos and Santorini in my sights and I'll be damned if I don't get to sweat clean through another buttondown shirt at a nightclub.

I'm craving a cheesesteak like a pregnant Philadelphian and if I never ate hummus or "who-moose" as the Israelis say, I'd be fine with that. What else can I say here. Some of the more memorable moments...beach day in Tel Aviv, peeing in the desert under a starry sky next to a camel pen...there's something very liberating about that...up in the club getting yelled at by my sister for Harlem Shaking just a little too hard...floating in the Dead Sea...and all the folks on my trip were great as well so that just added to it being a excellent trip.

So where does this all leave me...it leaves me ready to get vitamin D from the sun, vitamin C from some fresh squeezed OJ, and some vitamin U from the unce uncing I'll be doing in Mykonos and Santorini. That's all for now. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my bed, diagonally of course, but I'll tough out the tiny Greek people beds for another 10 days though and hopefully I'll get to a computer another time for another update. And by the way, Athens is kind of weak sauce.

No comments: