Monday, September 29, 2008

An Inside Baseball Look at Something

If you didn't catch the Michigan/Wisconsin game this weekend that's too bad. Michigan had an amazing comeback to upset Wisconsin and then people went nuts. It was the kind of game you hope for when you decide to go to a school like Michigan. After a serious pre-game tailgate and then a post-game tailgate I decided I needed to go home and shower before I went out to the bars. I got out of the shower at around 9:15, said to myself, okay, I'm going to sit on my couch and catch my breath for 10 mins and then head out. I woke up on my couch in my "going out clothes" about 4 hours later. Oh well. It was still a great day and I even did a little bit of the Apache dance on top of the Bus after we won. Remember this episode....



All I know is that next week I need to do a little better job at clock management.

On Monday mornings I typically assess the mess that is my apartment. I have clothes everywhere, books everywhere, and sneakers everywhere. As I straightened up this morning I couldn't help but notice all the recruiting swag I had accumulated from last year. There's my Lehman fridge magnet, my Bear Stearns pens, my Wachovia notebook, and my pet bull named Merrill Lynch. I feel like I could turn my place into an antiques shop now. What's going on in the markets is pretty scary and I'm just hoping that by Sept 1 2009 when I start full-time I'll actually have somewhere to show up to. Ain't no guarantees of anything these days. It's a good time to be in school for sure, or I guess not in financial services.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm enrolled in a class called "Business Leadership in Changing Times". Each week we have a CEO or very senior executive come in and speak to us about a crisis his/her company faced, and each week we have a mock-press conference where everyone in the class plays a role. For example, one week I was kind of disgraced former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Olmert (typecast much?), and the following week I was CEO of Tesla Motors (also an Israeli), and last week in an effort to broaden my acting chops I played a member of the Board of Directors of Sara Lee (an African American not from Israel). It's a pretty interesting class and basically you get hammered with questions and backed into corners and such and you hope that when you answer you don't end up sounding like Sarah Palin. That all aside, three weeks in a row the CEO/Senior Exec used the phrase "Inside Baseball" as in "I'm going to give you an Inside Baseball look at our strategic vision". And then Obama dropped "Inside Baseball" during last week's debate. I hadn't even heard people say this until like 4 weeks ago. Clearly I'm behind the times a little bit. My guess is that you'll be hearing this phrase a whole lot more now that you are aware of it, and if you've already heard of it then pat yourself on the back.

As for me, I guess my goal for the next little bit will be to continue to provide you all with the Inside Baseball analysis of what's going on in my world. I can't promise it'll be super exciting, but it'll more fun than following the financial markets.

No comments: