Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Zoom Zoom"

On Friday night a bunch of MBAs went to a country western bar for b-school-sponsored happy hour. There was a dancefloor, a live band, and some serious line dancing. It's funny that we all thought it was so "middle America" when really we were just about 30 mins outside of Detroit. Regardless of the metropolitan location, a lot of my classmates dressed up in western gear. People were wearing boots and cowboy-esque shirts. We were trying our best to play the part, but like I said, this is Detroit, and it isn't Kentucky. The point being, in a Detroit country/western bar they don't wear cowboy gear. They wear cut off t-shirts that say "Daytona Bike Week 2006".


I don't know much about the Detroit wannabe cowboy scene by any means, but does any woman at any type of bar want to see a guy's armpit hair? Maybe the guy's sleeves fell off on his bike ride over to the bar, I don't know. It didn't seem like the local women were the most discriminating of all time, but still. Ain't nothing sexy about armpits.

There was some serious line dancing going on that night. As fancy as it all looked it really all seemed to be a variation of the electric slide and as we all know, a good portion of our parents can do the electric slide, so how hard could it really be? All in all I was more impressed by the dollar beers and shot girls than by anything else. That said, I took the first bus back to campus.

The next day was Passover and in preparing to not eat bread I went to Kroger to buy some matzah. After walking through the aisles and not finding anything I finally went up to a stock clerk and asked where the matzah was located. This guy, this kid, couldn't have been more than 20, and he looks at me and starts scratching his chin. He says, "Hmm. Mazda. Mazda." I say, "yes, matzah". He says, "Right, mazda..." still scratching his chin. I know how important the auto industry is to the greater Detroit area, but this was a little ridiculous. It took serious willpower not to say, "yeah, I saw a blue Mazda over in aisle 4, but I'm really looking for a red one, do you know where I can find it?"

Definitely best with butter and jam

Eventually I had to be more specific, mentioning "Jew" and "kosher" and "horns" and he finally pointed me to the "International Foods" section. There were about 6 boxes of Streits located on the bottom shelf, under the Kikkoman soy sauce and instant pad thai. The Food Emporium on 63rd and 3rd this was not. My seder was fine although the food left much to be desired and worst of all, I had no leftovers to take home. The good news is that next time I'm looking to buy a car I can look for a Kroger coupon in the Sunday paper.

No comments: