Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I Mailed This Blog In

Just a quick travel anecdote to start...Coming back from St Croix I had three flights. St Croix to San Juan, San Juan to Miami, and Miami to Detroit. The first leg of the trip went fine, and then when I arrived in San Juan (the worst airport in the world) I learned that my San Juan to Miami flight would be two hours late thus forcing me to miss my connection to Detroit. I don't do well when stuff like this happens. When the American Airlines rep told me that I'd have to stay the night in Miami I was none too thrilled. I asked her to check every possibility so I could get to Detroit and sleep in my own bed that night. She said there was nothing. Then, somehow, she got me a connection through US Air to Charlotte and then a first class seat from Charlotte to Detroit. I was so appreciative and thankful I almost forgot how pissed off at American Airlines I was not 10 seconds earlier. The mood swing was uncanny, almost PMS-like, or so I imagine. So I slept in my bed that night and now it's back to the old routine. There's nothing particularly redeeming about the airline industry. They're always late. I interviewed with United Airlines in January for some stupid reason, and I knew people who got second round interviews and then offers before I even heard that I didn't get a second round interview. If that's not the industry in a nutshell then spank my ass and call me Sally.

The trip as a whole was great and was relaxing, not that I really needed to relax from anything I'm doing at school. It's always nice to be on the beach with friends. I don't have pics yet, but when I do I'll share some. Back in the day I used to be able to eat a ton of food and never get full. My reputation preceded me at many family events when family members would always give me the last whatever, or give me seconds, or thirds because I could handle it. The first time I realized I wasn't a bottomless pit was after having brunch with my Dad. It was one of those days where you go to the breakfast buffet and you say to yourself, "they are definitely going to lose money on me today" and then you go nuts. Well, that day the breakfast buffet won, as I literally could not stand up straight and walk to the car. St. Croix for whatever reason brings the glutton out in me, and virtually every night after big meals and drinks I wanted to be taken out back behind the barn and put out of my misery. It kind of makes me have a greater appreciation for competitive eating, which apparently has been adapted into a video game for the Wii. Anyway, I guess I'm back to eating like I usually do, and not like a angry bear.

Starting tomorrow the business school has their sell weekend when admits come and check out Michigan and we all pretend like the crappy weather is just here for the weekend and it gets gorgeous in the Spring. Last year it snowed. It's going to be fun to see these admits back in college mode. Obviously I'm ridiculously biased, but I can't imagine coming here to visit and not wanting to go here, unless of course you have a "weather requirement". It's going to be a big weekend and I need my sleep so I'm going to pass out. I'm pretty sure I'll have something pithy to say when the weekend is all over.

No comments: