Monday, February 4, 2008

So Happy I'm Blue

I went to two Giants games this year. I saw the Giants beat up on a pathetic 49ers team, and then watched them squeak one out in Detroit against the Lions. I watched a skittish Eli Manning throw off his back foot time and again, and I watched a defense with so much potential make Jon Kitna look half decent. Now...if I have two sons I'm going to name one Eli Manning Finger and the other one David Mother Effing Tyree Are You Serious Finger. Truth be told, I was more fired up after the Packers game, but I'm guessing it was because after last night's game I just couldn't believe what I had seen. Wasn't it just two years ago when Nick Goings and the Panthers dropped a bagel on the Giants in East Rutherford? I sat there with my Dad, in the slush, and wondered whether the Giants would ever bounce back. But they did, and the guy I admit to having called "a loser with no friends" was so calm out there that it was borderline scary. Eli's going to be all right, he always knew he was going to be all right, it was just everyone else who doubted it. In March 2003 I went down to Nassau for Spring Break. Among the groups staying at the glorious Crystal Palace Resort was a crew from Ole' Miss and none other than Eli Manning. Here he was with his buddies and some seriously gorgeous girls, in Nassau, wearing cut off jean shorts and Blueblocker sunglasses, playing volleyball with me and a bunch of other guys from my house. If you had told me then that this scrappy looking dude was going to take the Giants down the field in the last two minutes of Super Bowl XLII to beat an undefeated juggernaut and pull off the biggest upset in Super Bowl history I would've told you that you should never buy drugs from a local on the beach. Ever.

All I know is that I cannot get enough of what's being written about the Giants. I read everything because I don't know when the next time it'll ever be this good for this team. Eli, if I ever see you out, you drink on my tab all night (once I start getting paid of course). And to all the doubters out there...hey, I mean, winning the Super Bowl is almost as good as, I don't know, getting to interview Dr. Ruth...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard Tiki was in Tampa crying on Ronde's shoulder Sunday night.