Friday, February 1, 2008

Prom

Saturday night is the Business School Prom, which I imagine will both be dorky and a ridiculously good time all at once. One foreign student in my section wrote the following email to our section:

"What if I don't know how to dance? Do I need to sell the ticket I bought?"

I sent her the clip of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine dances at the holiday party and told her to just do that and she'd be fine.



I'm joking, I didn't send her that clip. I have to imagine that with an open bar and interviewing stress, things are going to get not just crazy, but "business school crazy", whatever that means exactly. There's a Pre-party at a friend's house, complete with picture taking and hopefully some awkward corsage exchanging. The weird thing is that parents will be there, but this time the parents are my classmates.

As some of you may know, for me, Prom elicits emotions such as shame, sadness, anger, and apathy. Let me just give you the quick rundown...

Junior Prom: My best friend hooks up with my date. Not cool. I even give him a ride home because that's the kind of guy I am. You can't stay mad at best friends (unless you're on The Hills) and we can laugh about it now...and by laugh I mean cry on the inside.

Senior Prom: My date ends up crying to her ex-boyfriend for the better portion of the night because she thought he looked sad. In an effort of one-upsmanship I try to look even more sad than the ex-boyfriend which didn't work. I'd like to think I spent the evening on the dance floor doing the "running man" with everyone saying "Go Fin-ger, go Fin-ger, go Fin-ger..." but I'm pretty sure I just sat and complained to my friends. She was apologetic. I say to her, "well at least you didn't hook up with someone else, which I guess is an improvement over last year".

Freshman Year Rush Date Party: I took a girl from Spanish class. Some jackass (later to be my pledge-brother and good friend) hooks up with her at the bar...which given the goings-on of the last two years seems about par for the course. I say to the girl, "¿Eres una prostituta?"

So how can I ensure that my date doesn't stray? Simple. No date. The vast majority of the folks going are going solo anyway, so it's no big deal. Regardless of what happens, I know I'll have the Giants to root for the next day, which should ease any potential wounds from Prom 3.0.

And that's about it folks. Enjoy your weekend.

No comments: