Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Jay Z and J-Date

I love Ann Arbor, especially Thursday through Saturday when I sleep and feel like a human again. When I can finally breathe I also have time to reflect and I'm going to share a small gripe (again). Let me break this down using a popular Jay Z lyric...

"I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

Where to start.

First, literally. I think in front of me sits 3 practice tests, 2 from Statistics, and 1 from Accounting, and just for the sake of making this work let's just say that each test has 33 problems. So literally I have 99 problems right now. But let me say this, I would rather have 100 problems if it meant that I had a "bitch" as that 100th problem.

I'm not sure if this is any barometer of the female situation in Ann Arbor, but last week an email was sent to our MBA section (we are 1 of 6 sections with about 80 people in each section) telling us about a mixer with the Pharmacy School. And after the email went out there was a legitimate buzz among the guys in my section. The Pharmacy School. Not the Nursing School. Not the Education School. The Pharmacy School. Granted, the Pharmacy School is about 90% ladies, but still. I think by the end of the day there was such a buzz about the Pharmacy School that I heard they are favored to beat Michigan this weekend by 10 points. Mind you, this is before anyone has even seen a single girl from the Pharmacy School. It's a good time to be a woman in Pharmacy School. There is high demand for pharmacists in general, and an all-time high demand among MBA1s who want to talk to a girl about something besides the Econ test. So let's think of some good things about dating a pharmacist. Here's a quick brainstorm...

1. Honest
2. Want to help people
3. Look good in white
4. No "your prescription will be ready in an hour" nonsense
5. Good working hours

So maybe you've been dating a pharmacist for a few weeks, and then you call in a prescription to your local drug store, and you go in to pick it up and then this happens...







"Brenda, hey, what are you doing here?"








"Hey Tim, what a surprise. Well I am a pharmacist you know, so I work at a pharmacy. Are you picking up something?"







"Yes. No. kind of. I mean, I was actually just looking for some...chewing gum, and look, here it is. Ah yes, chewing gum, my favorite"







"Well it looks like you just had a prescription refilled. Here are your medicated supp...suppositories? What the hell?"










"Brenda, wait, I can explain. See, I have this friend, and his name is also Tim Atkins, and he lives with me too, so you see...





"Likely story Tim. You know what, I can't make it to dinner on Friday. Something just came up. I have to stay here and count inventory."








"Just great, Brenda. Just great. Now I'll never go out on a date again."












"Heyyyyyy Timmy, call me. I'll come over and rock your world"







By the way, Jamie Foxx used to be really really funny. If you don't believe me go back and watch a lot of In Living Color. The above might have been a little exaggerated and would probably be the worst case scenario. I'm not that worried about it all though. If I have no luck after the Pharmacy, Law, Nursing, Medical, Veterinary, Natural Sciences, Dental, and Public Policy mixers then maybe there's cause for concern. One caring reader sent me a note with a suggestion. The below is from Charmaine, from Charlotte, NC.



First of all, thank you for your concern Charmaine. Second of all, them girls are not lonely, they're probably just not finding what they want out there and I can understand that. I have previously said that I'd move to Alaska before I went on JDate, and I'm sticking to that. Although I do hear it's nice there in the summertime, and I do need a summer internship....

I know people who have met on JDate and I even know a couple that is getting married that met on JDate. It's a good thing that JDate exists, and I firmly believe that. That being said, I'd like to meet my next lady friend perhaps in the library or at a small gathering or maybe over an egg cream soda at the local ice cream parlor, and not sitting on my computer alone in the dark at 3am.

So in summation, yeah, whatever. 'Tis what it is, and it's Thursday, which for me means it's Friday since I don't have class until Monday. Enjoy the weekend and keep an eye out for me.

2 comments:

John said...

Ed Note: The best part of the pharmacy mixer was that after it was over I was able to come home to a half eaten burrito.

Anonymous said...

take two deze and call someone else in the morning