Saturday, October 20, 2007

New York, New York...So nice they named it twice

It's good to be back in New York and its good to be done with my exams. A family friend recently went through Navy Seals Training and he said part of his training was wading out 20 yards into the rough ocean, sitting down, and getting rocked by the crashing waves for thirty minutes straight. That's what comes to mind when I think about how exams went. I learned a lot during the course of the last six weeks and most importantly I learned I'm not going to be an economist, a statistician, or an accountant. Professional omelet-maker, and dirty laundry accumulator are looking like the most viable career options at this point, which is good because the sky is the limit for those two professions. And speaking of professions, part of the reason I am here this week is to meet with companies and learn about summer internship opportunities in the areas of Finance, and Media/Entertainment. I don't really get fired up about these presentations because most of time at the on-campus presentations I ended up with bruised ribs from people jockeying for position in order to ask stupid questions to recruiters. And then on top of that some of the people from the companies who come to present really need to be knocked off the imaginary pedestals they think they're standing on.

For the purpose of anecdotes I'm not naming company names, because its hard enough getting a job as it is. While I know my blog readership is now at a robust seven people, I'm expecting a call from Gawker any day now and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot just in case these stories end up being read by millions upon millions of adoring fans. So yesterday we get into our first presentation and on of the senior level employees walks in and the first thing he says is "Whoever eats the most danishes will definitely get an internship". We all laughed politely as we are expected to do. But then he said "seriously, if you eat the most danishes you'll get a job". REDACTED. REDACTED. Thirdly, there are international students who don't understand fraternity humor, and it was sad to see them fill their plates with danishes.

And speaking of food, I had a great dinner on Friday night at Schiller's Liquor Bar, on Saturday I hit up my used-to-be-favorite Thai spot for some pad see ew, and then Sunday at the Giants game I enjoyed a two-meal tailgate of eggs, bacon, dogs, and chicken and couple porch sodas (thanks to Jason and hotshot lawyer Esh). Just to clarify on the thai place, they started skimping on portion size, which is not a good idea. I would suggest that Luscious Thai not piss me off because never ever have I seen another person in the restaurant when I was there. Not a one. And I doubt they want to lose their only customer. Up at school, when I eat in the cafeteria and I want more food I flash the dimples and say, "May I have some more? I'm a growing boy", which translates to eat least one more spoonful of mashed potatoes if a woman is serving, and about a half a spoonful more if a guy is serving. In NYC they just don't show the same love. But I'll bounce back because nobody can stock a fridge like my grandmother, so I'm set for the rest of the week and in-case the power went out in NYC I'd be set for the rest of the month. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll look more like me and less like Powder.


"Finger, I'm so pale because I stay inside all day reading your blog"


I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say about the week once I'm done with all the hustling around Manhattan. Until then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like Finger-Finger?