Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th in Thailand...

Today is the Fourth of July. All I want is a burger, a real burger that is, and some cole slaw, and a piece of pie from Round Swamp. Instead I just had a beef noodle soup, which was delicious, but doesn't exactly scream, I love me some America. I am wearing my Kentucky Wildcats jersey though, not that anyone aside from my buddies knows what the hell that is anyway. See, the thing is that there are no Americans traveling in this part of the world. Like, really, there are none. Last night we were out at a club (this is in Koh Samui now) and we bumped into two Americans and within moments there were hugs and high fives. We were just so happy to meet others who understood what it's like to be American and traveling over in these parts. It feels much like I imagine it did in the Northeast in early 1776...choc full of Brits wearing beer-logoed wifebeaters, yelling obscenities, chain smoking cigarettes, and eating a ton of fish and chips. I don't get it. Did a memo go out mobilizing, or should I say, mobilising, the British contingent to travel SE Asia? It is unfortunate that Michael Jackson died last week, but thankfully his songs have been playing in heavy rotation and have given Americans such as myself a respite from all the rubbish music the British kids like to shake their stupid mullets to.

We've been in Koh Samui for about 4 days now and tomorrow we head for Koh Pha Ngan. We've had a nice little set up here. Hotel on the beach, infinity pool, the whole nine. Hell, we even played golf the other day at a course right in the middle of the jungle. The views were amazing, and as dusk crept in we wondered why the monkeys sounded so close, and particularly hostile. And after I saw a four foot snake slither across the cart path I just decided not to bother looking for balls hit out of play. As scary as the jungle creatures are, equally as scary is the prevalence of lady-boys. At night, after a few beers is when I feel like they look for their prey, and it's just not that easy to tell the difference anymore, so much so that I'm starting to get skeptical of the Caucasian women as well. I'm wondering how socially acceptable it would be to start feeling for adam's apples.

On another note, renting a motorbike is a phenomenal way to explore a small island. It's also a phenomenal way to die on a Saturday afternoon. Yes I wore a helmet, but soooo many things can go wrong when all traffic laws, signals, signs seem to be mere suggestions. I can understand the allure of a motorcycle. The wind whipping your face, being outside getting tan, just you and the road...luckily I feel like I can get the same thing on a bicycle so I'll be sticking to that.

It's just about 10 days until departure time and my body has started to question what the hell I'm doing to it, and I think it's fair to say that which includes the famous Full Moon Party and Bangkok. So until next time. unless my body actually shuts down. Enjoy the 4th.

No comments: