Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cursing Never Sounded So Sweet

All it took was hearing "hey, fuck you buddy" and I felt right back at home in New York. It's been about a week since I returned from Bangkok and I'm finally sleeping past 5am. The flight back was pretty uneventful, although I still wonder why I was made to fly "over the world" as I like to say, and not over the Pacific Ocean. I guess when you use miles you just do what they say. On my flight from Frankfurt to NYC I was sitting on the aisle in the middle section of 3-4-3 setup. As soon as the seatbelt sign went off I went horizontal and occupied all four seats for some much needed shut-eye. I had taken a Ambien for this leg and I don't even like taking Advil and wasn't exactly thrilled about taking the Ambien, but after sleeping about 4 total hours from Bangkok to Singapore and Singapore to Frankfurt I needed the assistance of modern day medicine. So at some point from Frankfurt to NYC I was woken up and fed and when I woke up I didn't even know what planet I was on, but all I knew is that someone had put pad thai in front of my face and it was my destiny to finish and then go back to sleep immediately. So yeah, a week later I'm more or less back to normal, and feeling like myself.

So what of these next 5 weeks? Weddings, beach, hanging out, and trying my damnedest not to wear socks. I remember working and heading outside to pick up lunch or head to the bank and seeing young adults walking around mid-day, in shorts and t-shirts, and I remember saying to myself, who the hell are these people not working, and now I guess I'm one of these people. I love New York, but living here for an extended period of time sans paycheck has to be nearly impossible. I paid $8 for a salad today. Granted it was a salad with unlimited toppings, and it was delicious, but for $8 I could buy a small village in Laos, and have enough left over for a watermelon shake. But despite the whole money thing, just to walk the streets and not hear the words "bloody" or "mate" or "massive" or "that was a wicked googly" was absolutely refreshing.




This was a quick one. Not going to lie, when you go from the craziness of SE Asia to refreshing ESPN and gmail several hundred times a day it's a bit of a weird transition, but I'll try to get in a little trouble this weekend for no other reason than to give you a 4 minute respite from your shitty work day when you read this blog.

No comments: