Friday, December 5, 2008

Blogging Malaise

I'm a little peeved about the formatting of this blog. Something happened and this just isn't as pretty as it used to be, not that it was ever particularly aesthetically pleasing. Also, I'm a little peeved that everyone and their mother has a blog because I'm starting to feel like I've jumped the shark a little bit. I was reading some other blog the other day, and it was like, "Oh my, the bloody marys at my new favorite brunch spot in the West Village are so totally amaaaaazing", and I thought to my self, who gives a shit, and then I said, well who gives a chicken apple sausage about what I'm saying. This blue and drab green color-scheme makes my blog depressing too, so I think a change /face lift will be coming shortly.

So to recap, Thanksgiving was good, flying in and out of Detroit, the worst city of all time was easy and now I'm nose to the grindstone for the next week with exams/papers and such. My biggest observation from New York, if you go out and dress like a trendy lumberjack you are just fine. Plaid is the new black, the new Chinese, and the new Paul Bunyan-ness. The one night I went out in the city my white button down left me feeling like Professor Square. While I am assuming the role of Professor for just a moment, let me adjust my glasses and make a remark about the auto industry bailout. I have not read anything indicating that five years from now GM, Chrysler, or Ford will be able to compete with foreign automakers, with the bailout money, or even with "Arab Money"...



As we learn in class, pre-negotiated bankruptcy allows you a piece of the pie while there still is at least some pie to cut a piece from. I've seen these Michiganders and believe me, they love their pie, so let's give them at least a little bit, and not make them pay to help these poor CEOs avoid flying coach to their next bailout hearing. If you think it's only the Big 3 who are suffering here in Michigan you are sorely mistaken. Chipotle is getting desperate too. I received a coupon in the mail for a free burrito, salad, or order of tacos. Do you know what's about to happen? A Fajita Burrito Bowl, with barbacoa, sour cream, lettuce, salsa, cheese, and guac is about to happen. Now I will get to Chipotle and I won't order nachos, or a drink so I feel kind of bad because they're trying to get you to buy the fixins as well, but I'm bringing a buddy along to have dinner with me, so I'm stimulating the Michigan economy...one burrito at a time. Put that in your Nobel Prize for Economics pipe Paul Krugman. And if that doesn't work, just hire Busta Rhymes and Andy Garcia's Arab doppelganger.

I'm avoiding all of the Michigan economic messiness, and from my asbestos filled faux-ivory tower, my biggest issue right now is figuring out where to go for Spring Break. Everyone wants something different, and you can't please everyone. I was always the guy who messed up housing in undergrad because I didn't want to piss anyone off. And I'm still that guy today. While everyone is looking for the most cost-efficient trip, I think it is going to turn out that we're going to go somewhere halfway around the world. The good thing is that Spring Break is two weeks this year instead of one. Why? I don't know. I will not be arguing this.

This blog is all over the place but I was due. Enjoy the weekend, and watch Duke vs Michigan because I'm going to try to sit awfully close to the court and get my mug on TV.

No comments: