Thursday, March 13, 2008

California Love

Now I can understand why East Coasters go out west and never come back. It's been in the mid-60s and sunny for the past three days out in San Francisco and I've probably eaten two of the best meals I've had since I don't even know when. These restaurants change their menus more times than I change my underwear, which means that dem chickens is fresh. Two nights ago I ordered a leg of lamb that was so tender and cooked with so much love that I swear my Mom Dukes was back in the kitchen cooking. And yesterday, I ordered a burrito for lunch from a real taqueria and I almost cried because I realized what I'd been missing in Ann Arbor. I think I might've put on a few lbs., but it's all good and definitely worth it.

The reason I'm out here is that during the 4th Quarter of the school year, MBA1s do consulting projects. Projects can be domestic or international. Truthfully I was bummed about not being able to go to Brazil or India or something, but I'm actually happy I'm only away in San Fran for a week on the front end, and then a few days in April to present our findings. I'll be doing some travel (aka Spring Break Part II) in between and the best part is that all I really need to work is my laptop. In fact, I'm blogging right now from the glamorous lobby at the Holiday Inn Express. I'm working for a startup (MyWire.com) and it's been pretty interesting so far. They're actually relying on my team to create a new iteration of their overall business plan for one of their major products. It's nice to know that what we recommend won't get filed away in some cabinet somewhere and will actually be used.

The one thing I'm having trouble adjusting to is watching sports in the early afternoon. Big East basketball is best watched on the couch after dinner. This is actually the first time in four years I won't make it to MSG for some of the games. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too, unless that is, you're on the corporate expense account like I am this week and have more bread pudding than is humanly possible. If MyWire goes under, looking back, I'm sure they'll put the blame on the fact that they gave us pretty hefty meal allowances and they didn't account for the fact that I'm pregnant and I eat for two.

That's all I got for now. I'm just waiting for my friend to pick me up from the hotel. Hopefully I'll have a few stories for you all later this week.

No comments: