Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back to the Grind...Kind of.

My time in San Francisco only got better after I last posted. After a couple fun nights out in Palo Alto and a few in the city I can officially give San Francisco this guy...
It takes a lot more than a few fun nights to beat New York, but San Francisco certainly was very impressive. I'm going to refrain from continuing to talk about it though, because I'm starting to sound like a girl talking about Pinkberry, and I realize how annoying that can be. One thing I do want to say about San Francisco is that it seems like every person I spoke to was either in tech or a VC firm or some startup, which is incredibly different than living in New York. I was talking to this one guy who works for a startup that basically creates scavenger hunts. Instead of your typical scavenger hunt, these guys have hired actors to interact with the participants along the way. So basically, you don't know who is a civilian and who is an actor. I think the best comparison I can think of is the movie Bowfinger with Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy.

They work out of some guy's house, and basically sit around, play video games all day and think of new twists and storylines that they can add to the scavenger hunt. I mean, is that even a job? I'm pretty sure that's called "college"...you know, sitting around your friend's living room with the guys, drinking beers, and coming up with outrageous ideas that never actually happen. I guess the difference here is that these guys follow through and actually get paid for it. Apparently, companies seem to love the activity as a corporate team-building exercise. When did trust falls become passe?

Ann Arbor is finally thawing out, but the best part is that with these consulting projects we can set our own hours and work when we want to. There's a lot of work to be done for these projects, but if I want, I can sit at my desk in my pajamas with some tunes and do research. This is obviously better than trying to fight off the Sandman at 8:00am in an accounting class. In fact, one of my team members is working remotely for the entire project, so really all you need is a laptop. I could, I don't know, work from the Caribbean for a few days as long as I have internet access, which is weird because that's what I'll be doing during the first week in April. You gotta love technology.

Totally unrelated to anything, last night NFL stud Braylon Edwards, and soon to be NFL player Mike Hart were at Scorekeepers, a bar on campus. When the bar emptied out at 2am I found myself standing next to both of them. Braylon Edwards was standing right in front of some girl trying to take a picture of a bunch of girls. The girl taking a picture said something like, "Can you get the hell out of my picture?", which I thought was pretty damn funny. I guess the moral of the story is no matter how much bling you wear on your neck and wrist and fingers, or how many TD passes you catch in the NFL, nothing gets between a college girl and a picture she's going to post up on her Facebook profile.

No comments: