Friday, January 18, 2008

Hot Garbage

I had my first interview yesterday, and had my second today. It feels good to have them over with. How'd they go? Fine. I'll keep you all posted.

The highlight of my day yesterday happened after my interview. I decided because of all the time spent prepping for interviews I was just going to just veg before class which meant that some sesame chicken and HBO onDemand was in order. As mentioned previously, the "Chinese Food" in Ann Arbor is weak sauce. Regardless, I was craving some sesame chicken. I placed my order and waited. The place I went to is a fast-foodish chinese joint...probably 6 tables, with most of their business coming from take-out. Anyway, so these two girls are sitting together and they're finishing up. One girl asks for a container to take her left-overs home. The other girl had some food on her plate but I guess she didn't feel like making a second meal out of it. This guy, a student, leans over and says, "would you mind if I took your leftovers?" All ten people in the place are watching this happen. The girl, clearly taken aback says fine. So this guy commences shoveling Lo Mein into a takeout container, all whilst making crazy awkward conversation. It was embarrassing. I was practically blushing because I was embarrassed. It reminded me of Million Dollar Baby. Remember when Hillary Swank took the scraps of meat when she was clearing plates at the diner. Remember what she said...

"It's fer my dawg"

Under no circumstances (ok, maybe under certain circumstances, ie, something Cloverfield-esque was going down) would I take scraps from a stranger's plate, but if I did I'd at least throw the old "It's fer my dawg" line. Instead, this guy says, "You girls seem like clean people" as he shoveled in every last drop of brown sauce. Clean people? I'm no doctor, but college-aged girls would not pass bunk inspection, among many other inspections. I'm not going to get into it, but let me just present Exhibit A...a favorite at Rick's, the "shark bowl"


I'm not exactly sure why they call this a "shark bowl". Maybe it's because people swarm around it. I don't know. But look at all the straws. Clearly this is meant for sharing, and I assume people aren't keeping track of which straw belongs to which person.

This is my guess of who might be sharing a shark bowl on a given night....
A bunch of normal girls...









and....our good friend...Bubs, from The Wire.

So you tell me, how clean is that shark bowl, and don't give me the "alcohol kills the germs" nonsense. Do you even know where Bubs has been? The docks, Hamsterdam, up in the vacants with Sherrod.

My point is that the guy assuming those Lo Mein noodles were safe and clean was questionable at best. What's that line, "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to ask strangers for scraps of Lo Mein and he'll eat forever? forever ever? forever ever?"

No comments: