Monday, September 14, 2009

Who Loves Fasha?

Great weekend. Great win for Michigan. Great win for the GMen. I had a feeling this past weekend would be good because the shenanigans really started on Thursday at lunchtime. I went out to 'get some fresh' as I like to say, and I was walking up and down Park just enjoying the nice weather. I came up behind two guys wearing sandwichboards. These were new age sandwichboards though, which means that instead of the over-the-head old school sandwichboards these were were more like backpacks with a huge sign than ran from about the midsection area to a few feet above these guys' heads.



Nobody steals from Walmart. Not even you Lee Wuornos.

So this being Fasha Week, or Fashion Week, there were a lot of strikingly striking women walking the streets. As I walked behind these two sandwichboarded guys (who were advertising for Atomic Wings, which are quite delicious by the way) I heard them say about a 9'9" girl directly across the intersection something to the effect of "I would court the hell out of that damsel". This girl was super-attractive and had legs from here to Brooklyn. So the light turned and Atomic Wings Guys and I crossed and one of the sandwichboard guys says "what's up girl? How you doing?" Now I definitely give this guy props for being so bold as to try to chat up a girl, in the middle of a Park Avenue intersection, in broad daylight, wearing a sandwichboard, but really? Really? Like was she going to stop and say, "Sandwichboard man, I've been waiting to be cat-called in the middle of the street by a sandwichboard man my entire life. Let's go make little sandwichboard babies and live in a sandwichboard house, and drive a sandwichboard car." Gutsy these New Yorkers are.

I'm not going to lie. I really don't understand fashion week that well. I'm not really down with people telling me what to wear and people telling me what to wear nine months from now seems kind of ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned manchego is the new black. I still wear a henley shirt that was bought for me in 1993. 1993 people. You want to talk about being a couple years behind the fashion curve...well I still wear my customized Jim Finn #20 Giants jersey to games even though he retired two years ago, and I still get dap for it in the Giants parking lot. In fact, some woman came up to me on Sunday and told me her sister was at Thanksgiving with Jim Finn last year, and now he's out in Cali doing his investing thing. Clearly, people know a classic when they see it. And now, back in crazytown, every high fasha boutique is peddling their double-breasted suits (I walk down Fifth Ave every morning so I know these things) and everyone knows that these double-breasted numbers will be seriously out of style in a year and a half and then what? I'll tell you what. You and this guy can go back to 1932 and play your trumpets together. Ya dig?



Maybe I'm just jealous though. No, not of the zoot suits, but of the ability to wear whatever. Deep down don't we all want to be able to dress however we want whenever we want. Sergio Tacchini warm-ups fo' life. Rest assured the first day I'm free to wear whatever that 1993 henley will be making an appearance, elbow holes and all.

No comments: