Friday, March 20, 2009

Evening

Thursday through Sunday are de facto, every college basketball fans dream. Being in school has allowed me to appreciate this four-day festival in front of the TV, watching every dime and every dagger. I am taking a class this quarter that meets three times. One of those times happened to be during the Michigan game last night, which made me simultaneously mad, sad, and depressed. Michigan's first time in the tournament in 11 years and I was going to miss it...or was I.

As soon as we got into class I went to channelsurfing.net and started to watch the live stream of the game on my laptop, and just so I wasn't being inconsiderate I sat in the back row so nobody would be bothered by the game. About an hour into class we start talking about what our "class norms" should be. Unfortunately one of them was "closed laptops", so I did what any other basketball fan would do, I put my computer on the empty chair next to me and watched the game under the desk. It was weird watching a game that came down to the final shot and not being able to make a single peep. We won, and now we go on to play big bad Oklahoma tomorrow. Tomorrow happens to be the 2nd of three total sessions for this class, but by some scheduling miracle I will be done at 5pm and the game starts at 5:30pm. If that wasn't the case I just don't know what I would've done.

I want to talk a little bit about this class though. It's called Authentic Leadership. I thought it would be more interesting than it was. I just hope it gets better, but there's something significant that's going to prevent it from getting better and this significant thing is the presence of Evening MBA students. I feel like Evening MBAs have made it relatively unscathed by this blog, but that's about to end in 5...4...3...2...1.

It's not easy to work all day and go to class. I tried it once in New York and I briefly debated starting my coffee-drinking career. I could barely make it because I was so exhausted. I do give these Evening MBAs credit but that's where this group hug ends. So who are these people you ask? They work at Carhartt, Cargill, and shitty car companies. If you company doesn't have "car" in it, or is related to cars I think you can't be an Evening MBA student at Michigan. In my Corporate Financial Strategy class I was impressed by the ability of the Evening MBA students. This is not finance though, this is Management and Organizations, this is the fuzzy stuff, this is the "tell me how you feel" stuff, and these people drive me absolutely nuts.

These folks are ALL older, some in their 40s, and some look like they are in their 50s, but are probably in their 30s. These classes that are highly dependent upon group discussion become these Evening MBAs personal Amateur Night at the Apollo...and NONE of them are funny. Just because they are in some crap job and get yelled at all day at work and probably can't get in a word edge-wise at home because their wives are all naggy bitches they are not entitled to speaking like a bunch of jagasses during class. I cannot believe how annoying and borderline disrespectful these people are. Hey folks, you missed the boat on this whole "career" thing. You're not going to joke your way into a new job, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you joked your way out of a job.

I have to sit from 8-5 tomorrow and listen to these Evening MBAs grandstand about cost centers and ineffective managers and the birth of their children blah blah. If they want to bitch they should do what I do and start a blog.

Anyway...Go Blue and go home evening MBA students.

No comments: