Saturday, January 10, 2009

That Smell in the Air...That is Business

Recruiting for MBA1s starts up next week and if you want to reminisce like I do you can go back and read some of my old posts. I'm still slightly involved with the process, giving my time to first years for mock interviews (you can call me Saint FingerTheBlog or San DedoElBlogo for those of you bilingually inclined). It's kind of funny because I try to be tough in these mock interviews because the better prepared these folks are the easier it is going to be for the real thing. I put on this pseudo-scowl, and sometimes I cut people off if they're taking too long to answer something...all tactics that were done to me when I was on the other side of the table. My favorite part of the mock interviews is when I rattle off a bunch of technical questions and then some scenario questions (tell me about a time when....) and then I kind of pause, pretend to write something down, scowl, and then say, without even looking up, "what do you do for fun?". And every time it catches the interviewee off guard. It's the easiest question in the world, but people are always thrown off. I was giving a mock yesterday and I asked "what do you do for fun?" and dude's all, "ummmm, I like reading", so I ask what's the last book he read and he starts saying something and cuts himself off, and then says "Winning by Jack Welch". Liar liar, pantalones en fuego. I don't know, but that question allows you to say just about anything in the world about anything at all, but if your answer to "what do you do for fun" is that you read Jack Welch, which is cool and all, it just sounds supremely lame. You can say you fly kites, rassle gators, or eat jalapenos. Reading Jack Welch...yawn...let me hit that snooze button for the rest of the interview.


Gator Bait!

Last week I interviewed a chinese girl who I've met with a few times to help out. So I gave her a mock and we're talking after the mock and I'm about to say goodbye and leave and she's like "One more thing, is my english good enough?" So I say, "yes, you should be fine", which I truly believe, but then she pressed a little bit and it's like she wanted me to measure how good she was. I'm not sure what she wanted to hear but I was tempted to say, "yeah, you're a little better than Yao Ming, but not quite as good as Jackie Chan".
Yo. Yao? Yo. Yao.

I just told her, like I tell everyone "you should be fine".

Let me tell you what is also fine, the new $100 million business school, which finally opened it's doors. It's pretty unbelievable, and I don't want to complain so as to sound spoiled but I have one minor beef...
Minor beef

...and I don't want you to think that I am opposed to LEED Certification because I love me some LEED Certification but the urinals are soooo green, (how green are they?), the urinals are so green that they are WATER FREE. Remember back in the day when you were at the water fountain on the playground and some kid was taking forever and someone would yell out, "hey save some for the fish" and then everyone would laugh and then throw dodgeballs at the fat kid? I do. Well let me tell you, the Ross School of Business is saving some for the fish, in fact, they are saving a ton of water for the fish. The only issue is that the bathroom smells like a "squatty-potty" by about 1pm every day.
Squatty Potty

Instead of Water Free can we have an "Almost Water Free But Just Enough Water Not to Stank But Also Just Enough to Help the Environment" urinal? Can we do that instead. Like I say when people complain about the new school, "next time you want something different you spend your own $100 million". I got $23 in my wallet, so that's a start.

No comments: