Saturday, May 3, 2008

Home Sweet Home

On Thursday I made the trek from Ann Arbor to Greenwich. I made the trip solo this time and did it in 10 hours. On the journey I passed the ridiculous (Fangboner Rd in Ohio...ouch) and the sublime (Lordstown, PA). Ten hours is a lot of time to have to yourself. I don't even know what I thought about, but I did come up with a pretty awesome business venture for next year. I'm going to open a bar/dog grooming establishment in Ann Arbor and I'm going to call it "What's Up, Bitches?". I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but I don't see how this can fail. I'm pretty sure it's going to the next Google, or WalMart.

"What's Up, Bitches?"

All said, it was a smooth ride. The one hiccup was when I realized, somewhere in Ohio, that I forgot to take out the garbage in my kitchen. I'm not going back to Ann Arbor until the end of August, so either something was going to grow out of my garbage or someone would have to lend a hand and take it out. I called my building management company and explained my predicament. As has been chronicled on this blog here, there's a mutual hatred, nay, "cold peace" between me and my landlord. Basically all I needed was for someone to open my door, take 10 steps, take out the trash, and then close the door for the rest of the summer. The cold hearted bitch I spoke to made it seem like I was asking for her unborn child. She said she'd never had such a bizarre request, and she'd ask maintenance if they could help me out. About two hours later I got a call back and the woman explained that it would cost $35 for them to take out my garbage. If she was in Ohio and called and I had a spare key to her place and she asked me to do the same I would have done it...for free. So out of principle I declined her insulting offer, and when I got home I mailed my spare to friends in the building and they are going to take out my garbage.

And speaking of garbage, I'm realizing that the breadth of meals I'd been cooking for myself at Michigan had been garbage. As far as I was concerned there were only a handful of flavors...teriyaki, caesar dressing, and Lawry's Seasoning. Obviously I exaggerate, but my palate has been reawakened since coming home. I've rediscovered so many different flavors. This must be how little kids in the Eastern Bloc felt when their countries overthrew their communist governments and were opened up to consumer packaged goods from the West/America. Mmm, Honey Nut Cheerios. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now.

I'm headed to the Manzana Grande on Lunes for Cinco de Mayo. Love Mexico, have a margarita, but first, enjoy the rest of the weekend.

No comments: