Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shits and Giggles

Short post today...At the job I had before I went to school I had an office. Theoretically, if I wanted to take a cat nap I could. Of course I didn't, but I could. When you sit on the trading floor you can't take a nap, even if you wanted to. I was having this discussion yesterday with one of the analysts who came in after a long night and was saying that she would love to just close her eyes for a few minutes. I don't know what your offices are like, but there's a couch in the women's bathroom where I work. I imagine this is pretty common in offices in Manhattan. Well my friend decided that she was going to go into the ladies room and kick back on the couch for a minute. She went into bathroom and came back not a minute later only to report that there was a woman passed the heck out on the couch, shoes off, wrapped in a blanket, taking a nap. I was shocked. And from what I was told this wasn't some hungover intern, this was someone who was kind of senior. In some ways I was jealous though. The ladies can nap one off but the guys can't, after all there's nowhere we can shut our eyes in the men's room. Well apparently there is a place. An hour later I went to the bathroom and while standing at the urinal I heard snoring. I saw a pair of shoes sticking out from under the last stall. Some guy was passed out on the toilet. And in full disclosure, these toilets just are equipped with just a toilet seat and no lid, so you can imagine how comfortable that probably was.

The executive bathroom

I guess grownups need to be put down for a nap sometimes too, especially after the post-lunch food coma kicks in. I had to admire the guy's resourcefulness. Some people can fall asleep anywhere. I happen to not be someone who can fall asleep sitting up...in a bathroom...on a toilet. I guess practice makes perfect though. And speaking of stalls, I'll be talking about paper thin walls and more inappropriateness in my next post. Hopefully you'll stick around for it.

No comments: